The white phosphorus

The white phosphorus is a white solid (due to impurities may have a yellowish tint). In appearance, it looks like a wax or refined paraffin wax and cut with a knife easily deformed by small forces.

The white phosphorus is a white solid (due to impurities may have a yellowish tint)

The white phosphorus is poorly soluble in water, but easily soluble in organic solvents. Solubility of white phosphorus in carbon disulfide used for industrial cleaning it from impurities. The white phosphorus melts at 44,10C. In the vapor phase is dissociation of molecules of white phosphorus.

The white phosphorus is chemically very active. For example, it is slowly oxidized by atmospheric oxygen even at room temperature and light (pale green glow). The phenomenon is called chemiluminescence glow due to chemical oxidation reactions. When interacting with oxygen white phosphorus burns even under water.

The white phosphorus is not only chemically active, but also highly toxic: the lethal dose for an adult it is 0,050,15 g. During contact with the skin white phosphorus ignites easily, causing serious burns.

The white phosphorus is extremely poisonous, particularly when placed in the digestive organs to the lung as a vapor. Poisonings are accompanied by abdominal pain and vomiting mass, which smells of garlic and glows in the dark. In chronic poisoning, white phosphorus causes fatty degeneration of the liver, kidneys and heart muscle. It appears jaundice, bleeding from the stomach and nose. In particular, it adversely affects on the bone. Above all, this concerns the tooth, which then die and decompose.

When white phosphorus poisoning allow to drink an emetic 20 g CuSO4, dissolved in 2-3 liters of warm water. The white phosphorus is oxidized using copper cations. After that, it is necessary to take pieces of ice. In no case can not drink milk, eggs or fats, since white phosphorus is perfectly soluble in fats and fat-like substances. Then through the stomach and intestinal walls it stream into the blood.

Tools