The diamond

The diamond is a crystalline substance with interesting optical properties. The diamond is extremely hard and is used for final polishing of most materials. The refractive index is very high 2,4. The reflectivity of any transparent body is associated with the refractive index. The reflectivity of the glass, for example, is 4%. Diamond has a very high reflectivity 18%. When he reflects incident light, it looks very bright, but not as bright as a mirror.

The diamond is a crystalline substance with interesting optical properties

The diamond is one of the hardest materials and can be treated and faceted due to interesting properties. This property is that diamond has hardness not the same in different directions. This makes it possible to cut "soft" direction of the diamond using the "solid" another direction. If a diamond is the correct form, it is possible to achieve that most of the light that enters the faceted diamond, after repeated reflection enters the eye of the observer. As a result, well cut diamond reflects light so that it is comparable to the brightness of the light brightness of the reflected well polished silver mirror. Here we are faced with even dispersion phenomenon - the decomposition of white light into its component colors. The diamond has a very large dispersion; it is five times more the dispersion force of the glass.

What happens to the light that falls on a properly cut a diamond? Firstly, 18% of the incident light returns to the observer, the remaining 82% fall into a gem. Most entered the light is totally reflected back to the viewer. Getting into the gemstone, light passes through a much dispersion medium. Therefore, when the light leaving the diamond, it is split into different colors. It turns out a wedge spectral colors. If a diamond is a little shake, a variety of colors run through the eye and create a well-known game of the diamond. Note that the diamond is more appealing to the eye in the flickering candlelight. Constant changes in the angle of incidence of light causes the impression that the "living" jewel. In the dance halls of the 18th century were sparked hundreds of flickering candles. At the same time large diamonds, who loved wearing great ladies of that time, poured a myriad of colored lights.

Tools